A healthy vagina has a balance of different bacteria and yeast. If a bacteria or yeast start to increase, throwing the vaginal flora off balance, then you’ll get a vaginal infection like a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis. This vaginal flora can be thrown off balance by a weakened immune system, the use antibiotics or other medications, pregnancy, your menstruation or diabetes. Irritating ingredients like perfume and plastics found in products that come in close contact with your vagina can also cause infection.
All women have vaginal discharge. If your discharge suddenly changes it may be a symptom of a yeast infection. Other symptoms of a yeast infection are an itching or burning sensation in and around your vagina, a white odourless discharge (a yeast infection doesn’t smell!). Also peeing might hurt as well as sex. If you have these symptoms visit your doctor.
A significant increase of vaginal discharge is usually a sign of bacterial vaginosis. Also, itchiness and a strong fishy odour are symptoms. Vaginal discharge increases even more after your menstruation and after sex. This discharge is a waterier than the discharge caused by a yeast infection. If you have these symptoms visit your doctor.
- One of the causes of a vaginal yeast infections is irritation cause by substances in synthetic tampons and pads. Use menstrual products made of organic cotton like Yoni products!
- Drink more water, eat less sugar. Sugar disrupts the natural balance of bacteria in your vagina, and can lead to a fungal infection
- Eat foods with probiotics. This restores disruptions in you intestinal flora which is in connection to your vagina. Yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut and kimchi contain probiotics.
- Only wash your vulva with lukewarm water. Your vagina cleans itself and doesn’t need soap
- Do not use vaginal douches, vaginal deodorants or perfume products in and around your vagina. This increases the chance of bacterial vaginosis and fungal infections. Luckily your vagina is not dirty and keeps itself clean. Perfumes irritate it and can cause infections.
- For more tips have a look here.
Yes! Organic cotton is not only better for your body and the planet, but it’s also highly absorbent and will protect you from leakage as well as synthetic products. Also our pads and liners stay in place due to the strong adhesive backing which is also biodegradable.